Hi! I’m Lee, and I’m a broadcast journalist living and working in Cumbria.
It’s home to the sugary fell-walker fuel that is Kendal Mint Cake, England’s highest mountain to eat it on and one of the most dangerous bodies of water in the world. Well, two out of three ain’t bad.
What do I do?
I work in the newsroom at BBC Radio Cumbria as a broadcast journalist.
It’s a pretty varied job which includes:
- producing BBC Radio Cumbria’s main news programme, Mike Zeller at Breakfast (06:30 – 09:00 Monday to Friday)
- writing and reading our hourly news bulletins
- reporting live for our programmes and bulletins
- writing and editing our live news page, BBC Cumbria Live
- shooting and editing digital videos for BBC Cumbria on Facebook and Twitter
I also occasionally work as a broadcast journalist on BBC Minute, part of BBC World Service.
It’s a sixty second world news bulletin for commercial music radio stations updated every half an hour, 24 hours a day which is also available as a podcast and for connected home devices.
I’ve also reported on occasion for BBC Radio Wales, BBC Radio 4 and BBC Radio 5 Live during the 2015 winter floods in Cumbria and when a few other big storied have broken in Cumbria.
What have I done before now?
My first proper job in journalism was working as the Carlisle Multi-Media News and Sport reporter for Bauer Radio News and CFM.
Before that I’ve been:
- in the last 64 for the ITV News Traineeship.
- part of the BBC Production Talent Pool 2012.
- an intern at production company Somethin’ Else and;
- head of news, head of producers and deputy station manager for Cardiff University student radio station Xpress Radio.
I studied at the University of Central Lancashire for a Postgraduate Diploma in Broadcast Journalism (I got a distinction and I’m just as surprised as you) and graduated from Cardiff University with a degree in Journalism, Film and Media.
What else do you do?
Thanks for asking!
I play video games, search out for new podcasts to listen to and I’m into comics/graphic novels as well.
I’m a bit of a coffee fiend too so you’ll often find me in a coffee shop somewhere on my laptop.
While out of practice for both, I’m also a PADI/BSAC qualified scuba diver and hold a purple belt in wado-ryu karate